Monday, July 30, 2012

Young ladies first jewelry box

What to do for an 11 year old.....well, she's just starting to get a few pieces of jewelry, so maybe it's time for a "starter" jewelry box.  This one I started from a plain unfinished box and just kind of winged it.  So here is what I started with.


Supplies I used for this project: unfinished box, 1 piece of scrap booking paper 12x12, modge podge, 2 colors of paint to match/contrast the paper I chose, 1 rhinestone embellishment, 4 cut out flower shapes in differing sizes, 1 pearlized brad, Distress Ink (I used Amethyst on this one).


I started by painting the box with my two colors in a pattern I liked, including the interior walls of the drawers. While the paint dried I cut the scrapbooking paper to size for the top of the box and the front drawer, then used modge podge to affix the paper to the box. Then I used the reverse side of the paper which had a contrasting pattern and cut it to size to line the interior drawers and used modge podge to set those.



 Paint was dry, so I affixed the rhinestone embellishment to the front of the box.  I then used the Distress Ink to go over the exterior paper.  When I chose this paper, it was a hideous pattern of orange and green and purple and pink.  Using the Distress Ink softened all of the colors and made it more lavender than orange.







  For the final touch I made a paper flower by cutting petal shapes from several different papers, and again used distress ink to make the edges purple.  I connected all the petals by punching a brad through the center, and then attached it to the box using glue dots on each petal, though you could easily use hot glue or E6000.




The interior ended up like this


No comments:

Post a Comment