Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Memo Boards

What do you do when you come into a bunch of canvas and you're not a painter?  Make memo boards.  We start with a bunch of canvas, the fabric of your choice, a staple gun and a hammer.





Leave yourself a couple inches of fabric in all directions so you can pull it tight around to the back of the frame of the canvas.  Staple the fabric every couple inches so it stays tight.  I found that I had to use a hammer to really nail the staples in place tight.





Once your canvases are covered, you will need ribbon and either brads to hold the ribbon in place, or you can use buttons and a hot glue gun.  I prefer to use brads because I'm concerned that after time the hot glue may pull apart.  I used the staple gun to attach the ribbon to the back of the frames and then pulled it around tightly to make my design.  Be sure your ribbon is tight, so that it will hold cards, photos, lists - anything one wants to hang on the board.  To finish these off cleanly, I recommend taking them to a craft store with a framing shop and having them put brown paper on the back of the canvas to cover the staples, and then you can attach a hanger to the back of the frame, or have the framing shop do it.  They only charge a couple dollars to do it, and it's MUCH easier than trying to do it at home - you'll spend more on the supplies and time and frustration trying to get it done cleanly.

I did a variety of different designs.

 
 
 
 
This one above I did a little differently.  I used a dark purple raffia and I wanted a clothesline style, so I left the raffia loose enough to be able to hand down just a bit, then clipped on mini clothespins.
 
 
 
Above - I used lettered brads to spell out "I love you"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment